Google Rating

Living in a row home in Philadelphia comes with its unique set of challenges, especially when it comes to construction on adjacent properties. If you find that your home has suffered damage due to construction or a condition originating from a neighboring property, it’s crucial to know the steps to take to protect your home and your rights. As experienced construction lawyers and property damage attorneys, our firm specializes in these types of cases and is here to guide you through the process.


Step 1: Assess and Document the Damage

As soon as you notice any damage to your property:

  • Conduct a thorough assessment of the damage. This includes checking walls, floors, ceilings, and the foundation for any signs of cracking, shifting, or other damage.
  • Take detailed photographs and videos of all affected areas.
  • Document the timeline of the neighboring construction activities along with the observed damage.


Step 2: Notify Relevant Parties

Inform your insurance company about the damage.

  • Contact the neighboring property owner and their contractor to notify them of the damage.
  • Keep records of all communications for future reference.


Step 3: Obtain a Professional Evaluation

  • Hire a professional inspector or structural engineer to evaluate the extent of the damage and its cause.
  • Obtain a written report, which will be crucial for insurance claims and legal purposes.


Step 4: Understanding Your Legal Rights

In Philadelphia, there are frequent incidents where construction on neighboring properties compromises the foundation of row homes, particularly due to shared party walls or inadequate consideration of neighboring properties’ conditions.

  • Know your rights: Under Pennsylvania law, property owners have the right to seek compensation for damages caused by negligence or improper construction practices on adjoining properties.


Step 5: Seek Legal Assistance

  • Contact our firm: If your row home has been damaged due to neighboring construction, our experienced construction lawyers and property damage attorneys can help.
  • We specialize in cases involving damage to row homes in Philadelphia, particularly those related to compromised foundations due to neighboring construction.
  • We’ll review your case, advise you on your legal options, and represent you in negotiations or litigation to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.



Dealing with property damage caused by neighboring construction can be overwhelming, but you don’t have to navigate it alone. Our firm has a wealth of experience in handling such cases in Philadelphia and throughout Pennsylvania, especially those involving row homes with shared walls. Contact us for expert legal advice and representation to protect your property and your rights.

Need Help with Property Damage from Neighboring Construction? Contact Freundlich & Littman Today!

215-545-8500 or by email at


Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. For specific assistance with your property damage case, please consult with our firm directly.

  • Contact Us Today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.